Tool Mastery

Explore a diverse compilation of articles that take an in-depth look at Designer tools.
Become a Tool Master

Learn how you can share your expertise with the Community

LEARN MORE

Tool Mastery | Table

MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created
Table.png

This article is part of the Tool Mastery Series, a compilation of Knowledge Base contributions to introduce diverse working examples for Designer Tools. Here we’ll delve into uses of the Table Tool on our way to mastering the Alteryx Designer:

Any time you want to get a good point across, it’s best to show your data. Show your data off in style in your reports or presentations by adding formatting to otherwise bland data with the Table Tool! Found in the Reporting Tool Category, the Table Tool will make it easy flair to your raw data, and give it the pop it needs to really sink in.

Flair.png

More flair = always better

Use it when:

• Formatting tables of raw data (attached in Table.yxmd):

Formatting Tables of Raw Data.jpg

Be sure to add emphasis to your data by taking advantage of Column or Row rules to apply formats to specific data points or ranges – you can even use formula logic!

Row Rules.jpg

• Creating pivot tables (attached in Table.yxmd):

Creating Pivot Tables.jpg

If you're looking to apply Table Tool column rules to multiple columns, read up on the approach here!

By now, you should have expert-level proficiency with the Table Tool! If you can think of a use case we left out, feel free to use the comments section below! Consider yourself a Tool Master already? Let us know at community@alteryx.com if you’d like your creative tool uses to be featured in the Tool Mastery Series.

Stay tuned with our latest posts every #ToolTuesday by following @alteryx on Twitter! If you want to master all the Designer tools, consider subscribing for email notifications.

Attachments
Comments
Michal
9 - Comet

Hi,

I have a question about Suffix in the columns. I want to add a currency after my value but obviously I would like to insert a space between the value and the currency. How can I do that? When I write the suffix as " USD", the space does not insert.

Thanks a lot

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Michal,

You are correct and we are going to investigate this internally.

As a workaround, replace space by pressing Alt+255 (ASCII code for non breakable space).

Input:

TableAndSpace2.jpg

Result:

TableAndSpace.jpg

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Customer Support Engineer

tyler_sassara
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I'm working with the Table tool and having a bit of trouble. I want to have my Field name dynamically rename in the Table. For example, right now I have a header 'Current Pop' but I would like it to rename to '2018 Pop', and next year rename '2019 Pop'. Now I know how to have that dynamically rename in the workflow using a few tricks but when the field enters the Table Tool it is treated as a new field (reordered). I would like to have the field enter as 'Current Pop' but then exit as '2018 Pop' using the column rules as 2018 will change to 2019 the following year. These years are pulled from a data source so they too are dynamic and added as a value in another Field.

Now I've tried the formula for Headers only but nothing seems to happen.

Table.JPG

Please Help.

C-LOSP66
5 - Atom

I was able to find the answer to my question. Thanks!

MCDR929
8 - Asteroid
Hi, I'm attempting to render a report that comes from a gallery app. Users choose an employee (list box) and a date range, and the rendering needs to separate each employee onto its own page. I've tried grouping by employee name in the table tool, but that creates 1 file just for the first employee. Without that, the table contains all lines for every employee without separation. Ideally, I'd like to have the data separated, with a header updating the employee name on each page. Users might be running this report for 50 or more employees at one time, so it's important all pages are part of one file. If anyone has a workflow example of something like this, I'd love to see it. Thank you!
attardc1
7 - Meteor

Hey there,

Any way to get the formatted table tool output into excel?

Comfortable with the functionality and using the Render Tool to have the table display in Gallery, but would be very helpful to have the data populate into an excel file following the same formatting.

(We've tried using the PCXML format in the Render Tool but for some reason the column widths get locked / do not let you adjust)

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

STLinder
5 - Atom
Is there a way to format Text within a Cell (vs. the entire cell)? e.g. If I have the Text "West: The best direction" in 1 cell and in the 1st row and "East: an okay direction" in 1 cell in the 2nd row (same column), is there a way to Bold and underline "West:" and "East:"?