Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
RÉSOLU

What is the difference between applications, workflows?

AnkurBiswal
Atome

While going through http://help.alteryx.com/ under scheduling we can schedule application and workflow.What is the difference between application and workflow?

Workbook: .yxmd

Package: .yxzp

4 RÉPONSES 4
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

An Alteryx Workflow (also known as a module) is the standard Alteryx file .yxmd. it is what you build and save when you drag and drop tools into Alteryx Designer.

An Alteryx Analytic App is "a self-contained program that performs a specific function for the user" and is saved as a .yxwz. It is also built with Alteryx Designer but it makes use of Interface tools to create user interfaces. I have attached an example of a very simple app. Applications are defined more thoroughly here: https://gallery.alteryx.com/static/AppBuildingGuidelines.pdf

Other extensions that you will see:

.yxmc: An Alteryx Macro

.yxdb: An Alteryx DB file

And finally: .yxzp. Sometimes, when you create a workflow or an application, there are other files that are required for a successful run. This includes things like Input files, custom macros, etc. In Alteryx 10.1 you can create an Alteryx package using Options -> Export Workflow. This will package all the workflow/application dependencies into one .yxzp file so that when you send it to someone else or publish it to a server it can run successsfully.

gayatrimtr
Atome

Very beautifully explained. THANK YOU!!

guptamukul
Atome

Thanks for an explanation. Could you please help me with this:

I have few .yxmd files which I need to re-engineer and extract the transformation logic. Some of them are using DB connections for input. 

Challenge - I am able to see only part of the query in Input tool wherever source is database. 

Is it because file is not an Alteryx package? Will I be able to see complete query in .yxzp file? Any other ways to read the complete query? 

Connection used is ODBC.

vivekkumar1
Atome

No not exactly even if your workflow has in-db connect tool you should be able to view the entire query used. It has nothing related to yxzp file version. I am also using yxmd and in-DB connect the query can be viewed.

Étiquettes