Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

What is the difference between applications, workflows?

AnkurBiswal
5 - Atom

While going through http://help.alteryx.com/ under scheduling we can schedule application and workflow.What is the difference between application and workflow?

Workbook: .yxmd

Package: .yxzp

4 REPLIES 4
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

An Alteryx Workflow (also known as a module) is the standard Alteryx file .yxmd. it is what you build and save when you drag and drop tools into Alteryx Designer.

An Alteryx Analytic App is "a self-contained program that performs a specific function for the user" and is saved as a .yxwz. It is also built with Alteryx Designer but it makes use of Interface tools to create user interfaces. I have attached an example of a very simple app. Applications are defined more thoroughly here: https://gallery.alteryx.com/static/AppBuildingGuidelines.pdf

Other extensions that you will see:

.yxmc: An Alteryx Macro

.yxdb: An Alteryx DB file

And finally: .yxzp. Sometimes, when you create a workflow or an application, there are other files that are required for a successful run. This includes things like Input files, custom macros, etc. In Alteryx 10.1 you can create an Alteryx package using Options -> Export Workflow. This will package all the workflow/application dependencies into one .yxzp file so that when you send it to someone else or publish it to a server it can run successsfully.

gayatrimtr
5 - Atom

Very beautifully explained. THANK YOU!!

guptamukul
5 - Atom

Thanks for an explanation. Could you please help me with this:

I have few .yxmd files which I need to re-engineer and extract the transformation logic. Some of them are using DB connections for input. 

Challenge - I am able to see only part of the query in Input tool wherever source is database. 

Is it because file is not an Alteryx package? Will I be able to see complete query in .yxzp file? Any other ways to read the complete query? 

Connection used is ODBC.

vivekkumar1
5 - Atom

No not exactly even if your workflow has in-db connect tool you should be able to view the entire query used. It has nothing related to yxzp file version. I am also using yxmd and in-DB connect the query can be viewed.

Labels