Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using action tool to update the TAB/TABLE selection in an excel sheet for input

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I am currently working on a project that requires me to read in an Excel file from a directory. In order to do this I am using a drop down and manually setting values to update the file name based on what was selected. For example if I selected "House" it would update the path to House.xlsx. So, there are two tabs that I need from each datasheet. I have two file inputs, each with one of the tabs selected, so when I update the name of the file it still selects that tab.

The problem that I'm running into is that one of the Excel file's tabs are named a bit differently (I am not allowed to change it to match the rest). So when I choose that Excel file the tab names don't register because they're named differently. Is there a way I am able to update the tab names selected using a formula in the action tool?

14 REPLIES 14
Claje
14 - Magnetar

You're on version 11.0 or later.  That is my fault!  I'm using an older version of the tool, which explains why my solution wasn't working.

Here's a corrected version of my prior solution:

IF [#1] = 'Apartment Datasheet.xlsx' THEN REPLACE([Destination],'Condo.xlsx|||Rent',[#1]+'|||Rental') ELSE REPLACE([Destination],'Condo.xlsx',[#1]) ENDIF

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

OH NEVERMIND I JUST ADDED MORE "||" INTO THE FORMULA AND IT WORKS NOW!! THANK YOU SO MUCH @Claje

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Yeah, I realized that there are the 3 lines and I changed it. I got excited and replied and noticed that you corrected the solution! Thank you so much again @Claje!

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Happy to help!

Sorry for the mixup - I'm so used to the version I use that I forget to think about what has changed since then :)

ClumsyLoki
5 - Atom

For those cannot solve their problems by referring to solution previously.

Found another possible case: - not using Update with Formula in Action box

Following below and using Update value and replace specific string, I have no corrupted excel anymore

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/OutPut-xlsx-format-tab-name-garbage/td...

Labels