Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using action tool to update the TAB/TABLE selection in an excel sheet for input

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I am currently working on a project that requires me to read in an Excel file from a directory. In order to do this I am using a drop down and manually setting values to update the file name based on what was selected. For example if I selected "House" it would update the path to House.xlsx. So, there are two tabs that I need from each datasheet. I have two file inputs, each with one of the tabs selected, so when I update the name of the file it still selects that tab.

The problem that I'm running into is that one of the Excel file's tabs are named a bit differently (I am not allowed to change it to match the rest). So when I choose that Excel file the tab names don't register because they're named differently. Is there a way I am able to update the tab names selected using a formula in the action tool?

14 REPLIES 14
Claje
14 - Magnetar

You're on version 11.0 or later.  That is my fault!  I'm using an older version of the tool, which explains why my solution wasn't working.

Here's a corrected version of my prior solution:

IF [#1] = 'Apartment Datasheet.xlsx' THEN REPLACE([Destination],'Condo.xlsx|||Rent',[#1]+'|||Rental') ELSE REPLACE([Destination],'Condo.xlsx',[#1]) ENDIF

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

OH NEVERMIND I JUST ADDED MORE "||" INTO THE FORMULA AND IT WORKS NOW!! THANK YOU SO MUCH @Claje

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Yeah, I realized that there are the 3 lines and I changed it. I got excited and replied and noticed that you corrected the solution! Thank you so much again @Claje!

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Happy to help!

Sorry for the mixup - I'm so used to the version I use that I forget to think about what has changed since then :)

ClumsyLoki
5 - Atom

For those cannot solve their problems by referring to solution previously.

Found another possible case: - not using Update with Formula in Action box

Following below and using Update value and replace specific string, I have no corrupted excel anymore

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/OutPut-xlsx-format-tab-name-garbage/td...

Labels