Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render Tool with Multiple Sheets but One File Name

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

I am outputting a file using the render tool.  I have the file exporting to Excel with 7 different sheets.  I need to know how can I add the date to the file name.  I know how to do it using a normal output tool but not sure how it works with the render tool.  Can anyone assist?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @BrandonS4, I have attached a sample solution, is this what you are looking to achieve? The workflow

create a date field in the formula tool, which gets prependend to the output file name in the Render tool.  

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's an example of a workflow that creates 2 sheets in an excel and then adds the date to the filename

DavidP_0-1588022507540.png

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

Do you have to use the union tool because of the render tool?  You don't have to do this when doing a normal output, correct?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @BrandonS4, you don't have to use a union tool to append date to your file name. Just include a formula tool before Render, and reference it within the render tool. Something like the below:

AbhilashR_0-1588023991423.png

The configuration in the Render tool would look something like this:

AbhilashR_1-1588024019488.png

The solutions provided were meant to illustrate the art of possible.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I used the Union tool to bring multiple data streams together to create multiple sheets.

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both for helping me with this!  I can now use this for other workflows I have.

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

One other question....If the date is added to the end of my filename, how do I convert the date to the correct format?  It currently is "Filename" + %Y_%m_%d and I would like for it to be "Filename" + %m_%d_%y.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If your date value in your data is in a String datatype, then you use a combination of DateTimeParse and DateTimeFormat to get in the format you need. This basically converts the original string into date, and back into a string format of your choice. The formula would look something like:

"Filename_"+
DateTimeFormat(
	DateTimeParse([DT],'%Y_%m_%d')	
	,'%m_%d_%y')

If the date value is already in a Date datatype, then the following should do the trick

DateTimeFormat([DT],'%m_%d_%y')

Labels