Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render Tool with Multiple Sheets but One File Name

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

I am outputting a file using the render tool.  I have the file exporting to Excel with 7 different sheets.  I need to know how can I add the date to the file name.  I know how to do it using a normal output tool but not sure how it works with the render tool.  Can anyone assist?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @BrandonS4, I have attached a sample solution, is this what you are looking to achieve? The workflow

create a date field in the formula tool, which gets prependend to the output file name in the Render tool.  

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's an example of a workflow that creates 2 sheets in an excel and then adds the date to the filename

DavidP_0-1588022507540.png

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

Do you have to use the union tool because of the render tool?  You don't have to do this when doing a normal output, correct?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @BrandonS4, you don't have to use a union tool to append date to your file name. Just include a formula tool before Render, and reference it within the render tool. Something like the below:

AbhilashR_0-1588023991423.png

The configuration in the Render tool would look something like this:

AbhilashR_1-1588024019488.png

The solutions provided were meant to illustrate the art of possible.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I used the Union tool to bring multiple data streams together to create multiple sheets.

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both for helping me with this!  I can now use this for other workflows I have.

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

One other question....If the date is added to the end of my filename, how do I convert the date to the correct format?  It currently is "Filename" + %Y_%m_%d and I would like for it to be "Filename" + %m_%d_%y.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If your date value in your data is in a String datatype, then you use a combination of DateTimeParse and DateTimeFormat to get in the format you need. This basically converts the original string into date, and back into a string format of your choice. The formula would look something like:

"Filename_"+
DateTimeFormat(
	DateTimeParse([DT],'%Y_%m_%d')	
	,'%m_%d_%y')

If the date value is already in a Date datatype, then the following should do the trick

DateTimeFormat([DT],'%m_%d_%y')

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels