Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple snippets on multiple excel tabs via render tool

phil_budden
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow which summarises output by month and by time.

For each, there is a graph and a table giving me four report snippets in total.

I want to render these to Excel with two tabs.

I can get all snippets on one tab, or I can get each snippet on its own seperate tab.

Is it possible to have two snippets (a graph and a table) on two tabs?

(I hope that makes sense? Smiley Frustrated)

16 REPLIES 16
pcatterson
11 - Bolide

I think the basics of what you want to do are present in this knowledge sharing article here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Using-Reporting-Tools-to-create-Multiple-Exc...

phil_budden
8 - Asteroid

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I've worked through said article already, unfortuantly I only found out from this how to put each snippet on it's own tab, not two snippets on one tab and another two snippets on another.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

What if you created an "artificial" grouping (using a Formula tool) for each graph/table combination you want and the output using that?

phil_budden
8 - Asteroid

Hi, thanks for the reply,

This sounds promising - could you give me a bit more detail on how to do this please?

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Well without seeing what the actual setup for your reporting is, in general you can render out by group.

If you were to create a field in a formula tool that might be based on a condition (e.g., if Condition 1 met, then "1" and if Condition 2 met, then "2", where the conditions are based on something unique within each graph/table set), then you could pass that on with the snippets and have the Render group on that field.

phil_budden
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply, I will give this a try Smiley Happy

phil_budden
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Rod, that's solved it Smiley Very Happy

I used a union to group the first table/graph combo then a layout tool followed by a formula tool to create a field called "group" with a unique identifier - then the same with the second table/graph combo.

I used a union to bring the two streams together and used a third layout tool with mode "Each Group of Records" grouped by "group" and orientation "Vertical with Section Breaks" and data field "Layout" (without the first two layout tools I had to choose either graph or table which wouldn't bring through all four snippets).

Then I just used a render tool to output to Excel.

tom_dup_567
7 - Meteor

Phil,  did you figure out how to name the excel tabs?  I used your solution for a multi-tab output to Sharepoint and it works great but I'm guessing that because the Layout Tool does not know how you are going to publish there is no way to name the excel tabs.

phil_budden
8 - Asteroid

Hi Tom,

In the formula tool, for your new variable 'group' enter "name of tab" as the expression.

Then, in the layout tab used to separate your outputs there is a box you can check that allows you to use this as the tab name.  I can't remember the exact wording and am not back in front of the computer until tomorrow but it's towards the bottom of the tool configuration.

Hope this helps, if your still having trouble I'll knock-up an example to attach tomorrow morning and find the proper wording.

Labels