Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro output does not match?

lorenzoiegiani
5 - Atom

Hi everybody! I'm new to altereyx and I'm dealing with a little problem with macros.

Since I'm working on a workflow that's been made by boss and contains data that cannot be published, I decided I'd draw a simplified version of the workflow for you to understand.

WF1 corresponds to workflow 1, where everything starts. WF1 contains a standard macro, which I called "M". This Macro "M" has an input I called "X" and an output I called "A"

WF2 corresponds to workflow 2, and it's the Macro "M" workflow. In here, a lot of calculations are performed, This WF has a macro input I called "Y" and a macro output which i called "B".

When I run the workflow 1, everything goes smooth and I get my results.

When I run the workflow 2 on its own, everything goes smooth and I get my results.

Given the fact that that input "X" and input "Y" are 100% identical, here's the problem: output "B" and output "A" do not match completely. Some variables are the same, others (the calculated ones) are just completely off. For example, I have a variable which contains the Interest Expenses and in Output "A" it's equal to -345,9 and in output "B" it's equal to 5570, so yeah it's not about a few decimals difference.

Do you have any suggestions where/what the problem might be? Is there any topics/info you'd suggest in order to try to find out what's going on or for me to better undestand the macros functioning (besides interactive lessons)?

I hope I've been exhaustive enough for you to undestand.

If you feel like i do not undestand how macros work you might be right, i've been using alteryx only for the past three weeks. Yet, i feel like they should match, shouldn't they?

image00001.jpeg

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

My guess is that there are fields with the same name with different values scales in the macro. The macro will look for a fieldname (let's call it [interest_rate]) and doesn't pay attention to if [interest rate] is .05 (meaning 5%) or 5 (meaning 5%). It doesn't scale - it just processes the number as designed.

Why not configure the macro input for file input mode and load in your data? Or why not just cut & paste it in text input mode? then you can test run and see where it goes wrong.

lorenzoiegiani
5 - Atom

Probably it's like you said, since I didn't make this workflow I don't know every bit of information about it. I'll have to check it out, thank you for the suggestion!

Labels