Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro output does not match?

Hi everybody! I'm new to altereyx and I'm dealing with a little problem with macros.

Since I'm working on a workflow that's been made by boss and contains data that cannot be published, I decided I'd draw a simplified version of the workflow for you to understand.

WF1 corresponds to workflow 1, where everything starts. WF1 contains a standard macro, which I called "M". This Macro "M" has an input I called "X" and an output I called "A"

WF2 corresponds to workflow 2, and it's the Macro "M" workflow. In here, a lot of calculations are performed, This WF has a macro input I called "Y" and a macro output which i called "B".

When I run the workflow 1, everything goes smooth and I get my results.

When I run the workflow 2 on its own, everything goes smooth and I get my results.

Given the fact that that input "X" and input "Y" are 100% identical, here's the problem: output "B" and output "A" do not match completely. Some variables are the same, others (the calculated ones) are just completely off. For example, I have a variable which contains the Interest Expenses and in Output "A" it's equal to -345,9 and in output "B" it's equal to 5570, so yeah it's not about a few decimals difference.

Do you have any suggestions where/what the problem might be? Is there any topics/info you'd suggest in order to try to find out what's going on or for me to better undestand the macros functioning (besides interactive lessons)?

I hope I've been exhaustive enough for you to undestand.

If you feel like i do not undestand how macros work you might be right, i've been using alteryx only for the past three weeks. Yet, i feel like they should match, shouldn't they?

image00001.jpeg

2 RÉPONSES 2
apathetichell
Pollux

My guess is that there are fields with the same name with different values scales in the macro. The macro will look for a fieldname (let's call it [interest_rate]) and doesn't pay attention to if [interest rate] is .05 (meaning 5%) or 5 (meaning 5%). It doesn't scale - it just processes the number as designed.

Why not configure the macro input for file input mode and load in your data? Or why not just cut & paste it in text input mode? then you can test run and see where it goes wrong.

Probably it's like you said, since I didn't make this workflow I don't know every bit of information about it. I'll have to check it out, thank you for the suggestion!

Étiquettes