Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How do I change a tool's action based on input from the workflow?

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I am trying to resolve some questions I have around how to create variables in a workflow and then pass them into "Action" tools to dynamically change a tool's behavior.   I know how to do this with a text box or date picker, but how do you do it when the value you want is in the workflow preceding the tool?

I am trying to get a current snapshot for the month and overwrite those values to a table with 100's of million of rows in SnowFlake.  I am trying to dynamically delete the current month and then just append.   I am not sure if this is any better than the other common use of key tables to determine what to keep from the source table and what new/updates are coming in and rebuilding the entire table.

Date found in previous step:

2021-12-01

2022-01-01 (max)  --> Trying to feed this to a drop-down interface tool and then an action to update the Output tool's pre-sql statment.

I want to update the simple pre-sql in an output tool to remove that max dates info, so I can add a refreshed MTD view of that data.

DELETE FROM TABLE MYTABLE WHERE DATE IN ([REPLACEME])

3 REPLIES 3
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @john_watkins, you can dynamically update the pre-sql statement if you have that in a macro. On this case you don't even need the drop down interface tool.

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

So basically just put the Output tool in a macro and pass the variable.   I was hoping I could do it without adding a macro layer somehow.  

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Unfortunately you will need a macro.

Labels