Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How do I change a tool's action based on input from the workflow?

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I am trying to resolve some questions I have around how to create variables in a workflow and then pass them into "Action" tools to dynamically change a tool's behavior.   I know how to do this with a text box or date picker, but how do you do it when the value you want is in the workflow preceding the tool?

I am trying to get a current snapshot for the month and overwrite those values to a table with 100's of million of rows in SnowFlake.  I am trying to dynamically delete the current month and then just append.   I am not sure if this is any better than the other common use of key tables to determine what to keep from the source table and what new/updates are coming in and rebuilding the entire table.

Date found in previous step:

2021-12-01

2022-01-01 (max)  --> Trying to feed this to a drop-down interface tool and then an action to update the Output tool's pre-sql statment.

I want to update the simple pre-sql in an output tool to remove that max dates info, so I can add a refreshed MTD view of that data.

DELETE FROM TABLE MYTABLE WHERE DATE IN ([REPLACEME])

3 REPLIES 3
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @john_watkins, you can dynamically update the pre-sql statement if you have that in a macro. On this case you don't even need the drop down interface tool.

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

So basically just put the Output tool in a macro and pass the variable.   I was hoping I could do it without adding a macro layer somehow.  

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Unfortunately you will need a macro.

Labels