Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Template -- Using Information based on a Field

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi All --

I built a workflow that pulls information from approximately 325 spreadsheet templates. Most of the templates have a single tab. However, some templates have multiple tabs of data with a third tab (or more) summerizing the data. This is causing me an issue as I am doubling up on some of my numbers.

What I noticed is that there is a field in the data tabs called Full VA? that doesn't exist in the summary tabs (see images below). The coordinates  (using the @Joe_Mako Cleaning messy Excel Data method is Record 5 Name 1.

I am trying to figure out how to use information from spreadsheets that have a Full VA?  at record 5 name 1 -- but keep hitting a dead end.

Thanks,

Seth

Summary tab

Summary.jpg2017-07-31_9-17-38.jpg

Data 

Full VA.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Attached is your workflow edited and the missing macro so anyone else can open your original workflow.

Also attached is this alternate approach:

alt.png

After the loading:

- Filter tools to grab the values of interest

- Join match up the field names and field values

- Cross Tab to create the normal data structure

- Join the two constructed data tables together

Is this what you are looking for?

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

I altered your solution to fit into my current workflow. This was awesome @Joe_Mako. Thank you!

Labels