Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Output file in desired format using File Brows and Action Tools

anwerm2
7 - Meteor

Hello -

I have designed a big workflow which will be posted on Alteryx Gallery for number of users. I am stuck up on the last part of the workflow where I want to allow users to save the output file in any of the following format: 

1. Microsoft Excel (*.xlsx)|*.xlsx|

2. Alteryx database (*.yxdb)|*.yxdb|

3. Comma-Delimited Text Files (*.csv)|*.CSV|

4. Tableau Hyper Data Extract (*.hyper)|*.hyper

I have updated the Arbitrary File Specification of File Browse tool with the above 4 option. It is working fine in Analytic App when user choice and file format of Output data tool - Configuration is the same. For example in the workflow file format is "Alteryx database (*yxdb) and in Analytic App I choose Excel then it is giving an error message "file format and file extension is different"

anwerm2_0-1601655443404.png

Is it possible to fix this through Action tool? I have attached the last part of my workflow. I would appreciate if any one help me to solve this problem as I spent a lot of time in completing the workflow.

Also how can I get a prompt for sheet name when saving in Excel.? Currently I am not getting a prompt for sheet in the workflow in Analytic App. Thank you in advance.

Regards

Muhammad Anwer

5 REPLIES 5
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @anwerm2 ,

If you change your action tool to "Update Output Data Tool (Default)", then it will prompt your user to navigate to a location, and specify the name and type of file.  For Excel, makes sure your users know to add three pipes after ".xlsx" to specify a sheet name.

For example:  "C:\Users\mbarone\Desktop\MyExcelOutput.xlsx|||Sheet1".

Other than that one caveat with Excel, it should work just fine (yxdb, hyper, csv, etc.).

anwerm2
7 - Meteor

Thanks Mbarone - oh it was so easy.

Majority of my users will use Excel for output. Is there any trick that instead of putting three ||| and sheet name user gets a prompt automatically for sheet name? I am just thinking  that it will be difficult to educate user.

Or any other solution

Thanks in advance.

Muhammad Anwer

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yes, you can do that, but it's a bit more complex.

You'll need connect your file browse to a condition tool.  The condition is Right([#1],3)='xls' OR Right([#1],4)='xlsx'.  Then you'll want to drop 2 action tools on the canvas.  Connect the T node of the condition tool to one action tool, and the F node to another (connect to the diamond nodes on the action tools).  Also, connect the file browse to both action tools (Q node to Q node).

Then, on the T node action tool, you want to use the "Update Value with Formula" option.  Make sure the "File - value='TestOut' line is highlighted.  In the Formula box, do [#1]+'|||Sheet1'.

On the F node action tool, choose your "Update Output Data Tool (Default)' option.

That should do it.

2020-10-05 12_02_25-Alteryx Designer x64 - Output data file format.yxwz_.png

anwerm2
7 - Meteor

You are GREAT. Working fantastic. Thanks.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Sure thing!

Labels