Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conditional Formatting Without using Table/Render

lomeoari
7 - Meteor

Hi all!

Is there any way to do conditional formatting on a column without using the table/render functions?

I tried just doing conditional formatting in excel but when Alteryx runs the conditional formatting is removed. I then tried using the table, layout and render tool to output my tables with conditional formatting to my main excel file. This is giving my the correct conditional formatting I need, however it is just overwriting the whole output file and not just the specific tabs I need. Is it even possible to do conditional formatting without using these tools? 

The conditional formatting I am trying to apply is highlighting cells with values greater than 500. 

lomeoari_0-1635274904487.png

4 REPLIES 4
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Have you tried the "Preserve Formatting on Overwrite (Range Required)" option in the output tool?  Not sure if that will work with conditional formatting, but it definitely works with regular formatting.

lomeoari
7 - Meteor

Don't think this will work in this scenario.  I have one input file with all the data on one sheet, and am outputting to a new file with the data splitting to different tabs based on a group code. The group code tabs already exist on the output file but they are to be overwritten every time the workflow is run. So not really outputting to specific ranges.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I see.  In that case, there's none that I know of without using the report tools.  Although since Excel is really just a big ole XML file, I'm sure there's probably some developer way to do it, but that's beyond me.  Have you explored the "Group Data into Separate Records" option in the Render tool?  I haven't played too much with that, but I think you can output to different tabs using that (https://help.alteryx.com/2020.2/PortfolioComposerRender.htm ).

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

If it's a new file - what's the problem with render where you use a layout tool/vertical section breaks/group name as vertical section break.

Labels