Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

using a workflow constant with Directory and Dynamic Input tool

aoxomoxoa
7 - Meteor

Hello - I have a Directory Tool which looks at wildcarded filenames or specific filetype within specified directory, 

Formula Tool to exclude any found files of zero size

and then a Dynamic Input Tool which has the path, and pulls the filenames

all is good so far

however, I have this and dozens of outputs - all with a hard entered paths

I am looking to specify the path using a workflow constant, to then refer to it in the paths of the Directory and Output tools

Something like [user.myconstant] 

So that every one of them updates to the constant value I choose

Note : the constant will change depending on whether I am building locally, or pushing to Server .. thus the need for a quick, singular entry prior to run time

I cannot get this to work - am I chasing the impossible ?

thanks

1 REPLY 1
Claje
14 - Magnetar

For the Output tool, I would recommend using a formula to create your Filename, and then using the "Change file/table name" settings to get that updated.

From the Directory perspective, you probably want a Batch Macro.  Which sounds big and scary, but should be pretty easy.

I've attached an example workflow and it should hopefully give you a feel for how to accomplish something like this.

Unfortunately, i can't find a way to pass parameters directly into a macro without some sort of interface tool.  The control parameter is probably the cleanest method.

Labels