Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

input data column is dynamic formula is not working

philosophy22
7 - Meteor

Hello,

My first post here so I apologize in advance if broke Labels/Posting Rules.

My pain point is the input file format is not fixed, it have different columns, some times it has 4 or sometimes it has 6, I need to calculate percentage of these columns and use percentage to calculate result for each component. 

When I use formula tool to calculate these columns, it will pop up error message, because their columns is not same, some column is missing, but some column is unnecessary.

philosophy22_1-1647854287447.png

philosophy22_3-1647854620931.png

For example, this question is simple in excel, because we can manually change formula range.

philosophy22_5-1647854744421.png

However in alteryx, is there any quick solution to solve this question? Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @philosophy22 

Welcome to the Community!

In this case, I would transpose the data, but with a RecordID. Now you can do you calculations in the transposed state where all the data is in the [Value] column and use a CrossTab to return the data to the desired format. I attached a mocked up example - Row 0 is the calculated percentage and the CrossTab can give you a Total column.

DavidP_0-1647860232705.png

Another option would be to use the Multi-field formula and use the [_CurrentField_] notation in your formula. 

philosophy22
7 - Meteor

Really helpful solution, David.

After transposing, everything become easy to go. Many thanks!

Labels