Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

how to modify user input format for dynamic input

NewTableauBie
6 - Meteoroid

I am relatively new to Alteryx, but trying to build analytics app for our users. Wonder if I can get some help from here on the issues that I am running into.

Goal: Build analytics app to take users inputs, which could be user input include ID,  symbol, from_date and to_date. For example,  ID in (1235436),  and symbol in ('ABC').  In dynamic input, I was using 'Replace a specific String' setting for both ID and symbol. 

Issue 1:  ID works when I replace ID with a new set of values ( 6438926, 602773,435737).   However,  when replacing 'ABC' with a different string ('DEF'),  it does not work.  My Alteryx sample is attached. 

Issue 2: if issue 1 gets resolved,  how do I convert multiple symbol input in text box (e.g. ABC, EFG, GHI) to the following format ('ABC', 'EFG','GHI')? 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @NewTableauBie 

You're off to a good start!  A few suggestions, if I may.

• In general, you should have one interface tool for each item that you want the user to enter.  In your case, that would be two Text Boxes, one for Id and one for symbol and two Date tools, one for each of start and end dates.  
  • Add 3 more fields to your Text Input and name them appropriately.  Connect all the interface tools to the Text Input and configure the Action tools to update to corresponding field.
  • Add a Formula tool after the text input.  This where you'll perform any modifications to the users input.  For example, use a formula like "'"+Replace([Symbol],",","','")+"'" to go from ABC, EFG, GHI to  'ABC', 'EFG','GHI'
  • Use multiple "Replace a Specific String" commands in your dynamic input, one for each value you want to replace.  Make sure that your template contains different values for each of the strings to be replaced.     

Dan

NewTableauBie
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you. 

I created a simplified workflow for symbol.  The workflow can produce the right output, however with the error message " Action (89) Parse Error at char(0): An operator must be between operands".

Can you help?  Thanks. 

Labels