Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

header

Mhnd
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I know the question that I am asking is a simple one.

I have weekly data I received in excel and i need to process it and take some information from it.

As you see each column has male and female I could dynamically rename it to (Finance-male) (Finance-female) but the problem is the table could be shift to the right or left as I said i got the data weekly. is there any way to deal with this issue?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Mhnd 

I guess there are many situations like this to clean and prepare the data for next analysis.
I put a Cleansing Tool to remove the empty rows and columns just in case.

0417-Mhnd.PNG

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Mhnd 

One thing about Alteryx that really saves a lot of time vs Excel is that the columns can be referenced by names instead of fixed positions.

That said, you still need to know which part of your data is consistent week by week (even though the columns may be shifting)

for example, in this case, can it be assumed that the first 2 non-empty rows contain the header information whereas anything after those are data?

if the above assumptions are correct then the method that @Qiu has shown works.

the key in data prep is to determine which part of the data pattern is fixed vs changing so that you can apply the dynamic rules appropriately.

Have you checked out the Dynamic rename tool? It may be very helpful if you regularly encounter similar themes of data prep.

cheers

dawn

Mhnd
8 - Asteroid

it was really helped. 

thanks

Mhnd
8 - Asteroid

you right, If you have another way that i can use dynamic rename that would be awesome 

Labels