Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

datetime field to number

EleniTzakopoulou
5 - Atom

Could you help me to convert this datetime field to number?

The input file is like the input file attached and the tool gave me a datetime field as the input tool attached.

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

For an Excel input, try using the File Format Microsoft Excel Legacy

For the File Format drop-down, my understanding is:

Microsoft Excel is a driver created and maintained by Alteryx

Microsoft Excel Legacy is a driver created and maintained by Microsoft

Sometimes the two drivers produce different results

If that doesn't work, use the option First Row Contains Data

Then you'll get each field as a String and will need to change data types as needed.  And use the Dynamic Rename tool to get the correct field names.

Chris

Raj
15 - Aurora

Can you please  attach some sample input file?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Your easiest way to fix this is to turn the column into numbers in excel. right now the column is a date in excel (I know - it looks like a number). so alteryx is interpreting it as a date (and the result is a messy time add to 1899-12-31.)

EleniTzakopoulou
5 - Atom

Unfortunately we are not allowed to edit the input but thank you for your answer anyway!

EleniTzakopoulou
5 - Atom

I attach the input file

Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

It looks like you want to convert a datetime field to a number in Alteryx.

You can follow these steps:

1. Drag and Drop Input Tool:

• Start with an Input tool to read your data.
  2. Select the Datetime Field:

• Use a Select tool to choose the datetime field you want to convert.
  3. DateTime to String:

• Use a DateTime to String tool to convert your datetime field to a string in a format suitable for conversion to a number. Choose the appropriate format.
  4. Formula Tool:

• Use a Formula tool to convert the string to a number. You can use the ToNumber() function in Alteryx.
  5. Output Tool:

• Finally, connect an Output tool to save or analyze the data with the newly converted number.

Here's an example formula you might use in the Formula tool:

ToNumber(DateTimeToString([YourDateTimeField], "%Y%m%d%H%M%S"))

Replace [YourDateTimeField] with the actual name of your datetime field.

This formula converts the datetime field to a string in the format "YYYYMMDDHHMMSS" and then uses ToNumber() to convert it to a numeric value.

Labels