Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

What is best practice for data integrity testing?

wasehkhan
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am new to Alteryx and I was wondering if there is a best practice to identify following issues:

Currently, I have over 30 to 50 fields to validate and I am using Formula option for each field which is very time consuming.  Every field in the dataset has its own limitations. 

1.  Length Limitation = 50

2.  No Blanks are allowed

3.  No special Characters

1.  Length Limitation = 5

4.  Format should be H0000

1.  Length Limitation = 10

4.  Format should be YYYY/MM/DD

5.  "NA" is allowed

1.  Length Limitation = 2

4.  Possible options are; NA, CP or NP

Customer NameCustomer IDInvoice DateInvoice Type
John Smith*H12342018/11/01CPN
 H/1231/2/2019 
Chris C.

H23

NANP

Thank you for helping. 

Regards,

Waseh

4 REPLIES 4
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

In the developer tools, the message tool is very helpful for this matter. You can configurate it to just give you a message or stop the workflow and report the issue to you.

In this example I set a table with a null value. Really easy and intuitive to do

wasehkhan
5 - Atom

Thanks for quick response.   Actually, I have to report issues to the business owners identifying which column and records has blank fields, over the limit length, any invalid characters or values and invalid format.   I already created expressions for each field looking for issues listed above.  Please see the screenshot of the expression. 

I am just wondering if there is a easier way to test each field individually and identify what types of potential errors may occur

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Not that I am aware of. Maybe there are some community macros that do that work. You could also create a macro that does this work for you. That way once programmed, you wouldnt need to apply it again, just configure it for each field needed.

wasehkhan
5 - Atom

Thanks Asteroid!  I am new to Alteryx so I know it would take some time to learn on the tricks (macros)

Labels