Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Web Scrape Branch Details

RDF25087
8 - Asteroid

Hi all -

I'd like to scrape branch details from the ukps.com/stores.html website.

Down the right is a table of branches with city, phone number, website, email and address. I'd like to be able to scrape that info into a table for each of those elements.

Is this possible? I fear this is way beyond my understanding!

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide.

RDF

9 REPLIES 9
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@RDF25087 

Yes, it is possible.
The addresses you want are in the generated html.
Then use the download tool and make a regex to scrape

RDF25087
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response, but as mentioned I think this is a bit beyond my current skill levels - a bit more guidance on how to build the flow would be appreciated.

RDF

RDF25087
8 - Asteroid

Looking at the HTML I don't think the data is in a table?

RDF25087
8 - Asteroid

Any help?

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@RDF25087 

An workflow example

I hope it helps in understanding

acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hey, @RDF25087.

To simplify this process, I would use Python. In my opinion, it will be easier to solve and easier to understand.

I suggest looking into requests (to send the HTTP GET request) and Beautiful Soup (to parse the HTML).

I believe these are the main libraries you need. Seems like the data you want are in the HTML and not loaded dynamically with JavaScript, so something like Selenium won't be necessary.

RDF25087
8 - Asteroid

@geraldo @acarter881  - thank you both for your support - it's much appreciated.

@geraldo  - when I try to run your workflow above I get the attached error on the download.

Thanks

RDF

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@RDF25087 

This message has something related to your internet access.
For me it's running perfectly. I don't have a proxy or firewall activated.
Can you open a url through the browser?

https://www.ukps.com/stores.html

RDF25087
8 - Asteroid

@geraldo 

Thanks for the reply. I work for a large business that do everything they can to make downloading/accessing the internet as difficult as possible. When I get home I'll try running it on my home network.

Labels