Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using Filters

traceystone
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Seeking help with a custom filter. I need to filter out everything in the [Asset Status] column that is = "Retired" and has a [Scheduled Retirement date] < "01/01/2020". I have attached the workflow and a snapshot of what the data looks like in those 2 columns. What I have doesn't seem to be working.

11 REPLIES 11
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @traceystone 

Maybe what you are looking for is

[Asset Status] = "Retired" or [Schedule Retirement Date] < "2020-01-01"

Hope this helps : )

traceystone
8 - Asteroid

Well. I tried that but that removed all retired. I still want to see retired but only >01/01/2020

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Double Check that the date field is actually a date field and not a string. Happens sometimes when importing from excel. Could be throwing off the filter.

MatthewBr_0-1631553943875.png

Please mark as complete if answer solves your challenge. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @traceystone 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

traceystone
8 - Asteroid

It was set to vstring. I tried to change it to date but it didn't like that. The date wasn't in the correct format. I added a formula to convert from 01/01/2020 to 2020-01-01 seems to work but I am getting errors. I think it is the fields that are blank. How do I handle blank fields? I attached a picture of the 2 date columns that I converted. You can see there are blanks(which are supposed to be there) and attached a screenshot of the errors I am getting.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @traceystone 

Your datetimeparse function is incorrect. You need to put the format the data is currently in, so:

Datetimeparse([Retired],'%m/%d/%Y') should work

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Try this....

MatthewBr_0-1631554867152.pngMatthewBr_1-1631554873080.png

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Use the DateTime tool to convert your :String information to a DATE and then use that new field in the filter.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @traceystone 

Do you have more than one format of date in the data date column? If yes you can use a formula like this

atcodedog05_0-1631555234791.png

Hope this helps : )

Labels