Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User defined selection for copy run command

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a run command working for copying a new excel file for every new report. 

So, I have the following command: 

copy "source fie path" "destination path"

This works for report A, B, C, D, E individually. 

I want to introduce a functionality whereby I want the user to select which reports they want to process. Accordingly the reports will run. So if they choose A and C only, the run command will work for creating report templates for A and C. 

And I am running each run command individually. I just filter for the reports and pass the data into the run command tool. It works fine for the reports I choose. But, in this situation, the run command throws an error for reports that were not selected - B, D, and E. Because, the command going into the run command is blank. 

'Failed to run the external program'

Any way I can handle that? 

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Paulomi ,

Would recommend setting up a batch macro in this case. You could have a filter tool before the macro and only let pass trough the excel files you want to copy. I have similar workflows on my side that copy already a big amount of files and following this process has been my go though with it.

Regards

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

@afv2688 But that will not take care of the error I receive right? Its working fine, it serves my purpose - I only create the templates I need, and not all. But the other reports get an error. 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

In this case, since reports that are not selected would not be processed for the batch and therefore no error would be shown. This is the case if I am understanding the whole process.

Labels