Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Transforming survey data - "Rank up to three in order of"

arundaka03
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone

I'm trying to transform a survey data question which has invited respondents to rank certain challenges in first, second and third in terms of their rank of their 'biggest challenge' 

1) There are 10 challenges they could have selected, but only up to three: "first challenge" "second challenge" and "third challenge". The data currently looks something like this: 

Response IDChallenge - attracting talentChallenge - Building partnershipsChallenge - competitionChallenge - cost of availability
Respondent1First challenge Third challengeSecond challenge
Respondent2Third challengeFirst challenge Second challenge
Respondent3Third challengeSecond challenge First challenge

I want to visualize the count of each challenge by rank in Power BI, to showcase biggest and smallest challenges.

2) Between using the transpose, select, text to column and data cleanse tool, my data looks something like this: 

Response IDBiggest challenge typeBiggest challenge rank
Respondent1Attracting talentFirst challenge
Respondent1Building partnerships 
Respondent1CompetitionThird challenge
Respondent1Cost of availabilitySecond challenge
Respondent2Attracting talentThird challenge
Respondent2Building partnershipsFirst challenge
Respondent2Competition 
Respondent2Cost of availabilitySecond challenge
Respondent3Attracting talentThird challenge
Respondent3Building partnershipsSecond challenge
Respondent3Competition 
Respondent3Cost of availabilityFirst challenge

3) I've since used summarize to build a count of the rank, but now I've lost my Response ID: 

Biggest challengeBiggest challenge rankCount
Attracting talentFirst challenge1
Attracting talentSecond challenge0
Attracting talentThird challenge2
etc  

Is there anyway I can include, or append the response ID to maintain a relationship in my Power BI dashboard? Or will it have to seperate for this visualisation?

Thanks,

KA

1 REPLY 1
grchavarri
11 - Bolide

Hi, @arundaka03 

Maybe, you could use a Summarize tool as well to concatenate the response ID. You could find the operation in the string group. See images below. 

Let me know if it helps.

grchavarri_1-1638200960750.png

Labels