Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to identify the dollar amount in a line of text

scott_fuller
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - I am working to try and gather a dollar amount figure from a text string within a workflow.  I have included a sample of 5 rows of text to illustrate the format of text string (see below).  TRANSFER is always present, and the "(" indicates a negative number. 

Alteryx example.jpg

What I am trying to achieve is having a new column with just the dollar amounts (see Output column below).

image.png

Any suggestions on modules and instructions would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@scott_fuller One way of doing this

image.png

scott_fuller
6 - Meteoroid

Wow - thanks for such a quick reply.  Does the logic work regardless of length of the dollar amount?  I ask because the amount can be as little as a few million dollars to multiple billions of dollars. 

When trying the solution above the new column of data was all [null].  I don't really understand what the expression is actually doing, so hard to edit to make it work.  

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@scott_fuller 
I noticed that there is also decimal point and also space between "(" and "$", so maybe we can try as this based on flow @binuacs 

0510-scott_fuller.png

scott_fuller
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks - So there is not always a "(" in the field.  Perhaps there is a way to gather the data between key words. 

The first word in each field is "TRANSFER" and then the bit of information I am after followed by the word "FROM".  Is there a way to extract anything between those 2 words as a separate column?

Field example: 

TRANSFER ( $567,098,519.03) FROM A to B      

TRANSFER   $567,098.03 FROM F to G

TRANSFER ( $23,567,098,519.03) FROM A to Y

TRANSFER     $567,098,519.03 FROM 5 to 8

Adds a new column with:

( $567,098,519.03)

$567,098.03

( $23,567,098,519.03)

$567,098,519.03

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@scott_fuller 
Thank you for the additional information.
I just tried with my flow, it seems to work as it is

Keywork I am using is the sign "$" and end of digit.

0510-scott_fuller-A.png

scott_fuller
6 - Meteoroid

This works great - thank you so much!!

In the spirit of "teaching a man to fish" can you explain what the individual pieces of the regex expression do?  Or is that asking too much?

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@scott_fuller 
Of course not, thank you for asking actually.

I am always using this website for RegEx, and it gives good explaination how the RegEx works.

https://regex101.com/
As you can see the righthand side of the sanpshot below.

0510-scott_fuller-B.png

Labels