Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

The Purpose of the JSON Parse Tool (Newbie question)

CTauss
5 - Atom

I have a very simple workflow where I read in a JSON file (obtained from the Internet) to the JSON parse tool and then show the output.  This creates an error "Invalid value . at character position:0 ..."  Yet, when I remove the JSON parse tool, there is no error.  What error is the Parse tool trying to tell me?

I am guessing the JSON parse tool is intended to convert JSON data downloaded from the internet and convert it to a string.  Since my file is already a valid JSON file, there is no need to use this tool.  However, I don't understand the error so I am assuming I am missing something (probably something obvious).

Can anyone shed some light on that is going on here?  Note, I attached a .txt file, but in the workflow it should have the extension .json.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
mdsalmankhan89
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

As you can see the JSON parse tool example : The JSON (Java Script Object Notation) Parse tool parses out key and value pairs from a column into a table. Attached for reference. 

We can see the tool expects a column with key-value "string" and it parse those into a table with columns viz. JSON_Name and JSON_ValueString.

While you provide the .json file, then in parse tool either of the columns is empty. Hence, it is errored out. 

If you copy over the json text into a normal text input and take that column into parse tool you can map the column and parse tool works as expected.  PFA. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Salman  

CTauss
5 - Atom

Thanks very much for your insights, Salman.  I really did not understand the purpose of this tool, but you explained it very well.

All the best.

mdsalmankhan89
8 - Asteroid

No problem at all !! 

Best regards,

Salman

Labels