Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Skip first N columns

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Hi Team,

How can we skip first N columns in Alteryx like how we have Skip N rows in Sample tool.

In my case,

1. I've data with 10 fields in a File A where actual data starts from 4th column which means first 3 columns are junk. So, I've pull data from column 4.

2. File B has 15 fields and actual data starts from column 8 which means first 7 columns are junk.

So, how can we achieve this, and this has to be dynamic since I've several files and each file has different structure.

7 REPLIES 7
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Shaaz Do you have any specific column names for your files and are they in order?

Shaaz
9 - Comet

@binuacs No, they are no specific column names. Column can be anything in each of the file. In our case, for example client would say don't consider 1st 4 fields in File A and don't consider first 7 columns in File B and so on.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Shaaz 
We can provide a Txt input with the number for First "N" columns and use Generate Row tools to generate the number 1, 2, 3,,,N.

In your data stream, we can do a Transpose then use Tile tool to assign sequential number for the columns.

Then take the Left Anchor data from a Join tool then Cross Tab.

1204-Shaaz.png1204-Shaaz-B.png

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@Qiu you will like this solution:

before:

before.png

After

after.png

We can make use of:

after_after.png

All the best,
BS

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@BS_THE_ANALYST 
OMG. Thank you very much. 😍
I did not know this feature. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Shaaz IF you know which columns have to select from each file use the Dynamic Select tool for each files as @BS_THE_ANALYST mentioned above

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Excellent. This worked for my requirement.

Labels