Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Runtime Error/Exception handling while executing workflow

mutchakala
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have a requirement to handle run time errors. My workflow is doing data blend and prep using a scheduled job. For each input record, data processing is done and final output is pushed to data mart. My question is while processing or populating data to fact table, if exception occurs, I'd require to update control table with failure of the failed record and continue workflow for rest of the records that means status can be either "SUCCESS" or "FAILURE".

Any ideas will be appreciated. Really I have tough time with Alteryx designer to handle this kind of error handling scenarios.

If I use "Cancel Running workflow on error" , the workflow execution gets terminated, which I means I can't do further execution to change the status to "FAILURE"

Thanks,

Hari

6 REPLIES 6
aahuja1
5 - Atom

Hi, I too am looking for a solution to this problem.

Any help is appreciated.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@aahuja1 and @mutchakala,

If a record fails in Alteryx, the Alteryx engine automatically stops and will not continue the run. This is there for data quality and assurance.

You may need to set your workflows up in a different way to create tests with the tools instead of attempting to use the Alteryx engine to do the test for you.

We also suggest creating workflows that can handle many situations and can be dynamic enough that engine fails do not happen. If you are attempting to do a pass fail and split the data, you will want to create that test in Alteryx using something like a filter tool or maybe even a join tool. Even the Detour tools can be use to push data in different directions instead of having the workflow fail. You can then use the data to identify pass or fail and do what you will with each. 

DanM

capnshanty
5 - Atom

This is frankly nonsense. We need a way to, if the process fails, log that failure somewhere. Just having alteryx silently fail is no good. I also am looking for a way for alteryx to output a fail notice to a SQL table.

LeandroC
5 - Atom

If I understood you well I think this will help you. Download CReW macros, there you will find macros CReW_Runner and CReW_ConditionalRunner. Set the workflow each macro will run, if any of the workflow fails in the way, the F anchor will give you the full log. You can store it in csv, table, send it by email. If every workflow runs OK then every runner will go through the S anchor, this means there were no errors in any workflow. This is very useful, in production we have many workflows like this in scheduler jobs and we get notification by email with the error description in the exact workflow it fails.

LeandroC_0-1603151171543.png

Best regards,

Leandro C.

wlawson
5 - Atom

This option doesn't work for workflows running on the Alteryx Server as CReW macros aren't supported on the Alteryx server. Per: CReW Macro Support - Alteryx Community

NedStratton
5 - Atom

NaN

Labels