community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.

CReW Macro Support

Created on

CReW Macro Support

The CReW macros are a useful collection of tools built by a third party that enhance the functionality of Alteryx Designer.

The CReW Runner macros (Runner, Conditional Runner and List Runner) are the only CReW macros supported by Alteryx, but for Alteryx Designer ONLY. These macros are not supported when used on Alteryx Server or Alteryx Designer + Scheduler.

Prerequisites

• Product - Alteryx Designer
    • Version 10.0+
  • Product - CReW macro package (third party)
    • Please note that only the Runner macros are supported by Alteryx on Alteryx Designer only. The other macros that are part of the package are Community supported.

Known Issue

There is a "known" issue with workflows using CReW Runner macros on Designer 2019.3.2.15763 causing the Runner macro to crash.

This issue was resolved in 2019.3.5.17947.

Additional Resources

Comments
Asteroid

It's mid-October, is the realistic update not for a little while longer? 

Alteryx Partner

A lot of our users desperately need this fix. 

Version 2019.3.5.17947 is available for download.

I installed the patch and the Listrunner CREW macro is now working again for my workflows.

Thanks for testing @dthiessen, we weren't going to let anyone upgrade to 2019.3 until that issue was fixed. We use Crew Macros on both desktop and gallery consistently and not having the ability to have a standard workflow kickoff another workflow would cause major problems.

@MichaelAd  schrieb:

CReW Macro Support

The CReW macros are a useful collection of tools built by a third party that enhance the functionality of Alteryx Designer.

The CReW Runner macros (Runner, Conditional Runner and List Runner) are the only CReW macros supported by Alteryx, but for Alteryx Designer ONLY. These macros are not supported when used on Alteryx Server or Alteryx Designer + Scheduler.

Prerequisites

• Product - Alteryx Designer
    • Version 10.0+
  • Product - CReW macro package (third party)
    • Please note that only the Runner macros are supported by Alteryx on Alteryx Designer only. The other macros that are part of the package are Community supported.

Known Issue

There is a "known" issue with workflows using CReW Runner macros on Designer 2019.3.2.15763 causing the Runner macro to crash.

This issue was resolved in 2019.3.5.17947.

Additional Resources

As posted by @MichaelAd the runner macros are supported by Alteryx. So I assume there will be more serious testing before releasing the next version.

However, Thank you Alteryx for fixing this issue meanwhile!

Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks, @dthiessen !

The fix for the issue with the CReW Runner macros was released yesterday with the 2019.3.5 Stable update, you can access this version at licenses.alteryx.com.

Per Michael's post, the only CReW macros supported by Alteryx are the Runner macros: Runner, Conditional Runner & List Runner and for the Designer only.

Alteryx Partner

Question for the CReW team: 
I'm trying to create a list runner using workflows in my local company Gallery. 

When I put the URL in there, the fullpath generated was my root directory for the workflow originally (I'll call that ./) with the url appended to it. So, as an example: "C:/documents/Alteryx/Workflows/http://<blah blah>". 

That was obviously not my intent. 

This is a low-priority item for me--I can always develop these on local drives. But I'm trying to be better about using Server and Gallery since I have it. But without being able to run the things I develop on this platform, I pretty much can't use the platform. 

Will there be an updated CReW macro set with list/conditional runners that may allow Gallery URLs, or is the login criteria too strict/<insert other issues here that I can't foresee that you may have>? 

Thanks!

-Cedric Justice

Hi @thedr9wningman,

As per the above article CReW Runner Macros are not supported in Gallery.

Thanks.

Alteryx Partner

@MichaelAd I read that, I'm just wondering if that is a permanent thing, or is there maybe more on the horizon that may allow list runners to run on Server--is that a consideration? Should I put it in as an idea? 

Hi @thedr9wningman,

Feel free to put it in as an idea.

Thanks,

Michael

Hello, 

I have a question about the macros.  For some reason, they keep disappearing from the Alteryx toolbar every other day or sometimes every day and I have to keep reinstalling them.  Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know what's causing it and how I can fix it? I thought it was the anti malware program that my company uses, but they added the filepath as an exclusion and this is still happening.  They also told my that if the antivirus or anti malware program was blocking any files, I wouldn't have been able to install it in the first place.  So, if anyone has an idea of why the macros keep disappearing, I would greatly appreciate your help with this frustrating issue!

Asteroid

Hi, @MichaelAd  @MargaritaW @MarqueeCrew 

In trial process of designer v2019.4.6.21113, I have a trouble with use the 'Runner' macro. 

***ENV***

Case: A main workflow named is Main.yxmd, it used only a runner macro with a sub workflow sub.yxmd . both the Main.yxmd and sub.yxmd are located in same folder like path ' D:\下载\ABC\ ' or  ' D:\Download\ABC\ '.

1- If start Alteryx designer with Chinese GUI, show below error prompt after click 'RUN' button to running Main.yxmd :  (path ' D:\下载\ABC\ ')

######

2 Field Conversion Errors
Runner(1) Tool #31: Fidld_11: Started running D:\ is not a number.
Runner(1) Tool #23: ModuleFullPath: "D:\下载\ABC\sub.yxmd" could not be fully converted from a WString to a String.

######

2- If start Alteryx designer with English GUI, show success prompt after click 'RUN' button to running Main.yxmd :  (path ' D:\Download\ABC\ ')

+++++++++++++++

therefore, I guess the fail cause is Chinese character.  so, how can i fix the error point and maybe you will improve the CReW_Runner.yxmc to compatible non Unicode language version ?