Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rounding DateTime error when Importing Excel

ctpiccone
7 - Meteor

I have a date field that when viewed in excel, shows up as "1/1/1900", but when it is imported to alteryx, it is imported as a DateTime, and due to rounding errors, appears as, "1899-12-31 00:00:00". I don't see an option in the input tool, but I believe that it is due to importing the field as a DateTime, then trying to convert from a date field to datetime. Please let me know of any suggestions!

2 REPLIES 2
CKP
10 - Fireball

Hi @ctpiccone 

In excel a value of 1 will show as 1/1/1900 when converted to date format, because 1/1/1900 is the first date of the Excel calendar. My guess is that the first date in the Alteryx calendar is 31/12/1899. Either way the value should still be one.

Looks like this is quite an old issue:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/What-date-ranges-are-allowed-issues-re...

A work around would be to simply add a formula tool after your input and add 1 to the date field. 

Date Correction.jpg

CKP
10 - Fireball

Hi @ctpiccone 

I've been doing some digging around. It seems Microsoft Excel counts 1900 as being a leap year when it wasn't. So to work around the problem you'll need remove 28/02/1900 (the 60th day in the calendar) and add 1 to each date prior to 28/02/1900, as per below:

Excel Date Correction.jpg

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Labels