Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reversing Rows

peterg97
7 - Meteor

Hi all, 

I need some advice on how to reverse the order of data in rows - I have attached an excel file with before and after for reference. I believe that the solution will involve transposing the data, giving it record ID's and sorting it in some way, but I just haven't found the correct combination yet, so would appreciate any help!

Cheers, 

Peter

10 REPLIES 10
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Edit: Realised i misinterpreted the data, giving it another go!

Bulien
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @peterg97 

Here is how you can do it.

atcodedog05_0-1621502506240.png

1. Using transpose tool to convert year columns to rows.

2. Filter 0 values

3. 1 sort tool i am sorting row year by ascending and another i am sorting by descending. Reason is i need to change first to last and reverse order.

4. Next i am doing positional join. (You might need to cross check on this step whether you getting expected output). Since first sort was done on year of account key column it should match.

5. Crosstab back to table.

6. Using data cleanse tool replace nulls to 0's

Hope this helps 🙂

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

oh man i was literally at the crosstab back when you sent this, nicely done @atcodedog05 😁

Bulien
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Was your approach same @TheOC 😅 ?

If your approach is different i would definitely recommend you to post it 🙂

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

pretty much yeah, I did try to do something fancy with the grouped record ID tool made by @mceleavey , but turns out this wasn't necessary!

Bulien
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @peterg97 

Good solutions as always from @atcodedog05.  My question is "why do you need to do this"?  The reversing of the data completely changes the relationship between the rows and columns.  The original intersection of 2017/2017 was 17K and then it became 26K.   Was the original excel file incorrectly made? 

Dan

peterg97
7 - Meteor

Hi @atcodedog05

Cheers for this! Really helpful! In applying this to data sets, I have come across an issue - When the rightmost piece of data is zero, but needs to be zero, by filtering out any zero values, this piece of information is lost and the rows shuffle over. An example is the below input, where the 2017/2017 intersection is 0, and with the workflow this will result in the 2nd table below, where as I need the third table.

Input:

peterg97_2-1621512823599.png

Workflow output:

peterg97_1-1621512655145.png

Desired output:

peterg97_3-1621512985068.png

Basically, all the data within the triangle is important, but I can see why it will be difficult to differentiate between which zeros should be included and which should be filtered out. 

Any help is appreciated, and thanks again for your help already!

peterg97
7 - Meteor

Hi @danilang

Good question, its for a university project to model the development of insurance claims, and yes the data just comes in that incorrect format, so we need to fix it so that it can be interpreted. We have a correct finished triangle and we need to manipulate the incorrect data to be the same as it. 

Peter

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @peterg97 

To fit your scenario and your key triangle stuck a logic in my mind. What i was able to observe is 2016 has data for all columns >=2016 and for 2017 has data for all columns >=2017 so basically column year should >= rows year. I was able to implement my logic with a small change in workflow.

I have changed the filter tool to use the above logic instead of filtering zeros. [Name]>=[Year]. I am getting the expected output.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_1-1621514439133.png

Please check and let me know

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels