Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing data from an excel sheet

markbanlawe
7 - Meteor

i would like to remove the data from an existing sheet through a workflow and then updating that same sheet with blank data

Example:

Sheet 1

markbanlawe_0-1668439631761.png

Output to Sheet1

markbanlawe_1-1668439665667.png

13 REPLIES 13
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@markbanlawe 

Is there any condition check?

markbanlawe
7 - Meteor

no there is none

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

Hi @markbanlawe,

This should work, if it's all fields then just apply a multi-field formula to all columns and create some kind of formula to change it to blank. You'd then be able to output just the fields you want from here. I used the formula: REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], '.*', '')

(You can untick the box that says 'Copy output fields and add' to just update the fields)

JamesCharnley_0-1668441303886.png

Edit: Missed that same sheet requirement! The solutions provided below with Block Until Done and the Output options should work perfectly.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@markbanlawe how does this look?

Before run:

DataNath_0-1668441241543.png

After run:

DataNath_1-1668441279386.png

After bringing in the data, we just use a Multi-Field Formula tool with all fields selected to null everything:

DataNath_2-1668441308772.png

In the Output Data config, we then just select the incoming file and make sure to set option 3 to 'Overwrite File (Remove)':

DataNath_3-1668441340163.png

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@markbanlawe 

How about this?

KrishnaChithrathil_0-1668441449305.png

KrishnaChithrathil_1-1668441562961.png

Specifying the same sheet name.

markbanlawe
7 - Meteor

Thank you and my apologies i forgot to mention that i have other sheets that cannot be we cannot override therefore it would only be a that sheet to edit. Is there any changes to the solution?

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

If you're only inputting that one sheet and outputting to the same one, none of the other sheets should be affected!

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@markbanlawe Yes, you have a solution.

After the multi field formula tool, insert a Block until done tool.

Then overwrite on the same file and same sheet1 without affecting the other sheets.

Many thanks

Shanker V

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@markbanlawe 

like @JamesCharnley said none of the other sheets would get affected. 

Labels