Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove special characters only before/after text

joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

Hi Colleagues,

I would like to ask you for advice regarding removing special characters. I tried to use Regex but because the special character is " // " then it is read as part of the formula. 

I would like to remove "//" only when there is not text before/after/ Please see the example. 

Current situation

1. // // text1 // text2

2. text1 //

3. text1 // // text2

Desire outcome

1. text 1 // text 2

2. text 1

3. text 1 // text 2

Thank you in advance,

Asia

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @joannasokolowska ,

Use the below formula in formula tool.

TrimLeft(TrimRight(Replace([Field1], "// //", "//"),"//"),"//")

Output:

atcodedog05_0-1601893121715.png

Workflow:

atcodedog05_1-1601893135490.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @joannasokolowska ,

you want to remove only leading/trailing "//"? Formula tool can be used to do this, I think, RegEx is not needed.

I've attached a workflow. Let me know if it works for you, especially line 3 ("// //" is not replaced by "//" matching your description, but not the sample.

2020-10-05_12-38-03.png

Best,

Roland

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @joannasokolowska , if you want to perform it using regex you need to use 2 regex tool first to replace // // with // and then removing leading and trailing //. Please refer to the screenshot and workflow.

grazitti_sapna_0-1601895303227.png

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

Thank for the quick help! Is there a way to not limit number of  //  ? I didn't mention before but there could be more situations where I have e.g. text1 // // // text2 // // // // // // text 3 etc. 

Thanks,

Asia

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @joannasokolowska 

Not my best work. But here the workflow. I have nested multiple(like a lot) replace to replace // // to //. 

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1601899817213.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help 🙂 @joannasokolowska 

Cheers and happy analyzing 😀

Labels