Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Python Version

sairishab
5 - Atom

Hi everyone ,

I am trying to run a ML pickle file in the python tool and I am facing issue at the unpickle step while loading the model. I have attached the error image below but its not much of help i guess as it doesn't describe the error. I am guessing the python version of pickle and python version of Alteryx are different which is causing this issue. If that's the case then how can i change the python version in alteryx ? If you feel something else is causing this issue then please guide . Thanks a lot in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Zain99
5 - Atom

To troubleshoot the issue with loading a pickle file in Alteryx, follow these steps:

1. Verify Python Versions:
Ensure that the Python version used to create the pickle file is the same as the version used in Alteryx. Incompatibilities between Python versions can cause errors when unpickling objects.

2. Check Dependencies:
Ensure that all dependencies (libraries and their versions) used to create the model are also installed in the Alteryx environment. Mismatched library versions can cause unpickling errors.

3. Inspect the Error Message:
If possible, provide the exact error message you are receiving. Even if it seems unclear, it can give hints about the underlying issue.

4. Recreate the Pickle File:
If the version mismatch is suspected, recreate the pickle file using the same Python version as Alteryx.

5. Use a Virtual Environment:
Consider using a virtual environment to match the exact versions of Python and dependencies. This can be set up to ensure consistency across different environments.

Steps to Change Python Version in Alteryx

1.Install the Required Python Version:

2. Update Alteryx Python Environment:
Navigate to the Alteryx Designer's settings and locate the Python tool configuration.
Change the Python path to point to the newly installed Python version.

3. Reconfigure Alteryx to Use the New Python Version**:
After setting the new Python path, restart Alteryx to apply the changes.

4. Verify the New Configuration:
Run a simple Python script in Alteryx to ensure that it is using the new Python version.

Additional Tips

Alternative Serialization Methods:
Consider using other serialization methods like `joblib` for scikit-learn models, which can sometimes handle complex objects better than pickle.

Error Debugging
If the error persists, running a minimal example script that loads the pickle file outside of Alteryx can help isolate the issue.

If you can provide the exact error message or share more details about the environment, further assistance can be given to pinpoint the problem.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

@Zain99 have you done this successfully?  I do not know if what you are recommending is possible.

@sairishab AFAIK the python version in Alteryx is the python version in Alteryx. That's it. there is no way to change it. you can run Python vode via Run command for a different Python venv. 

Labels