Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Update multiple values in a formula using Action tool

Julia_Mathew
5 - Atom

I am using a list box to have the user select 3 months that goes into the workflow. There are 2 parts to where the output of the list box is used. One is to select the months that the user selects through select tool which will bring in the values for only those 3 months from the text input. The second is to update the formula tool based on the months the user selects. The formula is configured this way "[2024-02-29]*[February]+[2024-03-31]*[March]+[2024-04-30]*[April]"

The last date of the month field is automatically picked from the append fields tool but based on the user's selection i want update the formula to have the right month filed. for example if the user picks up May, June and July the formula should be updated to "[2024-05-31]*[May]+[2024-06-30]*[June]+[2024-07-31]*[July]". Keep in mind the field with the last date will automatically be updated, I am only trying to update the months column.

I have a solution with record id and transpose to make the new selections as M1, M2 and M3 but I'm trying to find a solution by updating the formula using an action tool

3 REPLIES 3
griffinwelsh
12 - Quasar

@Julia_Mathew are you able provide your upload your current workflow? It is a bit difficult to see what is off in your current implementation with just the screenshots.

Julia_Mathew
5 - Atom

Adding a portion of the workflow. hope this makes more sense. I added the current workflow that i know will work but also the version that I'm hoping to get with an action tool

apathetichell
19 - Altair

I think you are pretty far away form where you need to be. List Box in select mode generates xml which works with a select mode. In list mode it generates a list - which you have to format. To get a value from it for use in your formula i'd feed it into a text input tool - split by's to rows and take the first entry.

I think dynamic rename and dyanmic select are you friends here. 1) Dynamic Select allows you to use 1 list box for dynamic processing for both selection and parsing values. You can use [Name] in (list of values) where your action tool takes from your listbox and replaces list of values with the selection. 2) dynamic rename will allow you to rename your fields to dummy values (like modifier 1, 2,3, etc) so you can keep these static downstream.  I think there's probably a better way to do what you are trying to do  but that's where I'd start.

Labels