Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Python SDK v2 - Altered code doesn't seem to update using ayx_plugin_cli designer-install

tchard
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

I'm new to using Python SDK to build a custom tool in Alteryx.

I've tried following the steps here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/developer-help/platform-sdk/platform-sdk-quickstart-guide.html

And I've successfully built and installed a single-input-single-output plugin.

But, after that, if I alter any of the Python code, such as: 

self
.provider.io.info(f"asdasd{self.name} tool started. TC Was here")
or 
self.provider.io.error( "Gimme a sign of life!" )

And do another call to "ayx_plugin_cli designer-install" and then run a workflow with the custom tool, I do not see any changes in the info messages that appear indicating my change was successful.  ( changes to the UI tsx file do successfully appear, just changes to python code don't seem to appear ).

MyPlugin (4) MyPlugin tool started
MyPlugin (4) Plugin class successfully loaded.
MyPlugin (4) Received complete update from Input:.
MyPlugin (4) MyPlugin tool done.

I go into the appdata folder (D:\Users\<<user>>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools) and delete the plugin to ensure its fully gone, try again, and still no change in output.

It feels like it's running "some other code" or "the code initially written" but not updated ( is it being cached somewhere and running from that?  Or is there a different command to push an update to the plugin logic?  )

Is there a step I'm missing?  Or a cached copy somewhere that I need to remove?

Alteryx Designer x64: Version: 2023.2.1.51 Patch: 1
Running Non-Elevated

I'm using VSCode with Python: 3.8.0 and Node v16
On AWS Desktop (an Amazon Workspace VM)

Following steps here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/developer-help/platform-sdk/platform-sdk-quickstart-guide.html

Regards,
Troy
2 REPLIES 2
tchard
7 - Meteor

I've found a workaround.

If I delete all of the files under .ayx_cli.cache folder in my project directory and re-run "ayx_plugin_cli designer-install", I do see the minor code changes I've made.

I tried deleting just the tool's python file from this cache folder, but this leads to "alteryx internal error failed to read port assignment  Internal Error deadlock detected" error.

I don't know enough about VSCode, Python, virtual environments and the ayx-plugin-cli to understand why code changes don't get copied over to the cache.    I'll update the issue here if I figure out more about why code changes don't get pushed using "ayx_plugin_cli designer-install".

(Note: Am using VEnv. Adding here as I can't seem to edit original post)

tchard
7 - Meteor

I found another reference in the message forums here indicating that the cache directory needs to be deleted for changes to code to appear in Alteryx.

Labels