Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Plateauing After Core Cert? How to Progress

dcravero
6 - Meteoroid

As someone fairly new to Alteryx, I found the core cert extremely easy and passed on my first try. I'm a masters of business analytics student and feel competent in basis R, Python, and now Alteryx. After doing the Core cert, I've discovered the material after seems to escalate to a much more advanced level QUICKLY and I'm having a hard time thinking through many of the weekly challenges without assistance looking at solutions.

Does anyone have tips on how to progress at this level? I hope to do some Alteryx at my future job and would like to get my advanced certification in the next month or two.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @dcravero 

Start doing the weekly challenges. These will give you exposure to new tools and use cases you may not come across in your day-to-day. If you post your solutions you'll also get some badges on your profile 😄

You can probably knock out some of the basic ones in a few minutes, but the intermediate/advanced ones will make you think - if you get stuck you can learn a lot by looking at the various ways others solved it. 

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Interactive Lessons and the resources on the Advanced Exam Prep guide would be my recommendations! Then just practice, practice, practice 😊

Failing the first time is common and might serve as great practice to know what needs to be studied further!

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @alexnajm 

1. Start (go back) here: Interactive Lessons - Alteryx Community

2. Then go here: Advanced Certification Learning Path - Alteryx Community

3. Then go here, focusing on the level of difficulty = Core or Advanced: Video Training Index - Alteryx Community

4. Then go to the Weekly Challenge Index and cheery pick Spatial, Macros, Reporting, and Data Blending/Parsing challenges with a level of difficulty = Basic or Intermediate: Weekly Challenge Index & Welcome - Alteryx Community

5. Then burn one or two tries taking the advanced certification (you can take it every 8th day) to orient yourself before going all-out for a win 😎

I hope you find this helpful - Cheers!

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@RobertOdera I think you mean @dcravero 😬

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Yes, absolutely, my bad.

@dcravero for sure.

Apologies @alexnajm.

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

All the above suggestions are good.

I'm a 'huge' fan of the weekly challenges.

It's the order of the weekly challenges that I might differ from some of the comments above. Go to the index of challenges, download the entire list  Weekly Challenge Index & Welcome - Alteryx Community. Then go through all the beginner/basic ones first. I'd even go in order, but just in case, maybe look at the topics and do the ones that align closest to ones that you might be more inclined to actually do, or in which you have an interest. Then after all the beginner challenges are done, then move on to Intermediate, and then save the advanced for last.  

In addition to the above,

you could also check out my Youtube channel covering the weekly challenges :

https://www.youtube.com/@watermarkdata7048

Raj
15 - Aurora

Congratulations on passing the Alteryx Core certification! It sounds like you have a solid foundation in analytics and data processing.

As you mentioned, the material covered in the Core certification is just the tip of the iceberg, and the advanced-level content can be much more challenging. Here are a few tips that might help you progress:

1. Practice, practice, practice: The best way to become proficient in Alteryx is to use it regularly. Set aside time each day or week to work on data projects or to practice the skills you learned in the certification. The more you use the software, the more comfortable you will become with it.

2. Participate in the Alteryx Community: The Alteryx Community is a great resource for learning and problem-solving. There are thousands of members who are happy to share their knowledge and help others. Participate in discussions, ask questions, and learn from others.

3. Review the documentation: Alteryx has extensive documentation available online. Take some time to read through the user guide and other materials to get a better understanding of the software's capabilities.

4. Attend training courses: Alteryx offers a variety of training courses for users at all levels. Consider attending an advanced-level course to gain additional knowledge and skills.

5. Break down problems: When you encounter a challenging problem, try to break it down into smaller pieces. This can help you to identify the key issues and develop a strategy for solving them.

6. Don't be afraid to ask for help: If you are struggling with a problem, don't hesitate to ask for help. Reach out to colleagues, classmates, or the Alteryx Community for assistance.

By following these tips and dedicating time to practice, you can build upon your foundational knowledge and become proficient in Alteryx. Good luck with your advanced certification!

Labels