Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output the data in single Excel sheet

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

Dear All, 

I have to output the data in single excel sheet two times in a single workflow and i am stuck at this point.

So the steps are  -

1. In my first branch i have to output the data in excel 1. (which is fine)

2. then after some tools i have to add one more column to the same output file (excel 1)

and this i am doing for multiple cases which means i have to use Append to existing sheet Output option.

I want my first branch to complete the run and output the data and then my second branch should start running so new column can be added.

Example -

Excel 1

ABCDE

using keyword A

Excel 1

ABCDEF

how can i do this ?

Appreciate your kind help!

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Ekta 

Why not use a join tool, club all columns together and output at once.

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05  Thanks a lot for reply,

Actually there could be situation when workflow is not reaching to second branch due to failed condition, so i have to have my first output and the add additional column in the second branch.

and the output excel is the same.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

perhaps a detour tool could help here? I mean what your asking is possible but it sounds like there are much easier ways...

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell Thanks a lot for your reply, Can please help me with a sample workflow.

Regards

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I'm sorry but I can't without more information on your data and your workflow. I can tell you that detour allows you to skip steps so if you are outputting either one or two columns and the second column will only occur if something happens you can use a filter (or in workflows with user interface a detour) to have something happen (ie new columns added) to your spreadsheet prior to outputting.

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Can you provide some more data or build a partial workflow with some sample data so we can see what your scenario a bit more.  It's really hard to understand exactly what you need as it sounds like a Join tool should work.  If something does output from the second branch then it would join.  If it doesn't, then it wouldn't join.  

Labels