Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multi-row Formula not working for the last row

donne4real
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to use the Multi-row formula to determine the value in the Determination column in the table below.

The rule is if the date is the same and Participant ID is the same but the Position is different, Determination column is Unsteady.

If the Date is the same and the Participant ID is the same and the Position is the same, then the Determination is Steady.

I have not been able to successfully get this to work. In each instance, the last value (highlighted in bold) is always showing the incorrect value.

Participant IDDatePositionDetermination
A3/1/2021GoldUnsteady
A3/1/2021SilverUnsteady
A3/1/2021BronzeUnsteady
B5/2/2021GoldSteady
B5/2/2021GoldSteady

*** I have included the workflow.

10 REPLIES 10
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

You need to add a case for what you want your if statement to do when [Row+1:your variable] doesn't exist. It's probably comparing it's entry against the void (a.k.a row+1] and that's generating a problem... Also check out your section of multi-row which defines how you want rows which don't exist to be treated. They can 0, or null() or the closest value -which could be what you are setting your multi-row for...

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @donne4real 

I think you are using [Row+1] in your Multirow tool.

For this logic, I think it makes more sense to use the Row-1 instead and then set the default value to "Steady" when row doesn't exist (i.e. for the first row, there is no Row-1 of it, hence the value should be by defaut, "Steady").

This can be done by something like:

if [Row-1:Participant ID] = [Participant ID]

then if [Row-1:Date] = [Date] and [Row-1:Position] = [Position] then "Steady" else "Unsteady" endif

else "Steady"

endif

This assumes that you are setting "Values for Rows that don't exist" in the Multifield tool is NULL.

Dawn.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Did you manage to get this worked out @donne4real ?

donne4real
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I am still running into the difficulty.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

can you post your workflow with sample data? There's a lot of intricacy to the multi-row formula tool and without seeing your exact settings, I can't trouble shoot what's causing the error.

Here's what I have though...

donne4real
6 - Meteoroid

I have included the file. Sorry I didnt include it earlier.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @donne4real,

You're grouping on the wrong fields in your multi-row formula, you've included RecordID rather than Position. Ticking the correct three will give you the results you're looking for:

JonathanSherman_0-1625073216816.png

JonathanSherman_1-1625073232736.png

I've attached an updated workflow for you to download if needed.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

As an additional note if you've grouped on those three fields as part of the Multi-Row formula you can remove the other two conditions within your expression:

if [Row-1:Participant ID]=[Participant ID]
then "Unsteady"
else "Steady"
endif

Which would give you the same outcome! 😊

JonathanSherman_0-1625073568287.png

Kind regards,

Jonathan

donne4real
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your timely response.

Records 1 -3 should be unsteady and #4-5 should be steady. That is part of the struggle I am having.

Labels