Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conversion Error - is not a number

elclark
Astéroïde

I have a file that I used a text to column to separate numbers by comma, then I used a data cleanse to get rid of any leading and trailing whitespace, plus tabs, line breaks, and whitespace. However, once I use the Select tool to change the numbers from string to a numerical data type, on some of the numbers I get an error that says it is not a number (Field1:11050 is not a number.) and it deletes the number from the cell. I exported the data before applying the Select and looked at the fields and there aren't any additional spaces, characters, etc so not sure why it's not converting. Is there any way I can keep it from deleting the number even if it doesn't convert? Or any ideas on why it won't convert it from a string to a number.

8 RÉPONSES 8
dkma
Astéroïde

Hi @elclark 

Try using ToNumber(x) function.

It should work

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

HI @elclark,

You can't rely on simply removing everything but numbers and having what is remaining be able to be converted to a number using a Select tool.  A better method to convert the cleansed field from string to numeric is to use a Multi-Field Formula tool with the field(s) to convert selected, uncheck the Copy Fields and Add box, change the output type to an appropriate numeric type, and use the formula ToNumber([_CurrentField_]).

elclark
Astéroïde

I tried using the ToNumber function and it still didn't convert, now I'm getting an error that says ToNumber: 11050 lost information in conversion

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

HI @elclark,

What field type are you trying to convert to?

apathetichell
Pollux

Post some example data - @T_Willins instructions should solve your problem - using a MULTI-FIELD FORMULA vs a regular formula is key.... Can you also confirm that any . or , are correct in terms of your localization settings? Also that assumes you aren't bringing in non-integers as integers...

elclark
Astéroïde

Here are the numbers I'm trying to convert. I did Text to Columns, Split to rows.

apathetichell
Pollux

FYI - I'm seeing one of your numbers has an error (11050) - I think one of the characters isn't a 1 or isn't a 0 - I'm looking into it... It's my only conversion error on a multi-field after datacleansing btw.

My quick research has the first 0 as a tibetan 0...

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

HI @elclark,

Your worksheet has a non-breaking space.  This can happen with downloaded reports.  If you look at cell A232 in your Excel workbook and click on the first 1 in 11050, then backspace, you can see the it takes 2 clicks to move back one whitespace.  You can cleanse this with a RegEx Replace.  See the attached workflow that runs without error.

Conversion Error.png

Étiquettes