Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multi-Row where row number changes

NorhusainJr
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Everyone,

I have built a workflow that automatically distributes tasks in the team. Problem is I have to manually change the Multi-Row formula depending on the number of people present each day.

Before Running the Workflow

PersonTask
A1
B2
C3
D4
E5
F6

After

PersonTask
A1
B2
C3
D4
E5
F6
A7
B8
C9
D10
E11
F12
A13
B14

MULTI-ROW Formula used: IIF(ISNULL([Person]),[Row-6:Person],[Person])

Issue:

- Today PERSON = 6

- Next Day PERSON = 4

Is there a workaround where I don't need to manually edit the MULTI-ROW Formula.

Appreciate all inputs you may have about this.

2 REPLIES 2
Carolyn
11 - Bolide

Instead of using the Multi-Row Tool, I used Append

1. List of Tasks in the one Text input (I put 17 tasks)
  2. Record ID Tool to number every task
  3. List of People in the other Text input
  4. Count Records for the number of people listed
  5. Append the number of people (6 in the sample)
  6. Formula Tool to find the Mod between the Tasks' Record IDs and the number of people. This should accomplish what you're trying to do. It's also handy because if the list of people change, the Mod will auto-change based on the Count and just keep cycling around
  7. Join with the list of People, after throwing on a Record ID
    1. Note - it assigns Person B with the first task, since Person A is at the end, instead of the beginning. If that's a problem then change the People Record ID to start at 1 and add an IF statement on the Mod to say "if Mod = 0, then [Count], else Mod" which will change the 0 to a 6 (for example). I was trying not to over complicate it
  8. Sort to prove that it worked

2024-08-05_15-53-45.png

Edit: Here's the workflow with 4 people listed in the Text Input box. Person C and Person E had the day off and aren't included in divvying up the Tasks

2024-08-05_15-57-02.png

NorhusainJr
6 - Meteoroid

@Carolyn - thank you! I will try to integrate this approach on my template hopefully it works. Will update you after once it works. Appreciate it!

Labels