Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Missing header details with Render tool and column adjustment

Vanessa_JWS
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I was using the Render tool to output 3 sheets into a single excel file.

I have a few questions:

(1) For Sheet 1, I am not sure why there are missing details for the headers. Eg. "Bill to Country (2)" becomes "Bill to Coun (2)".

(2) For Sheet 2, I am not sure column B is so wide. 

If there anything wrong with my configuration? 

Also, for "Table width" / "Layout width", is there a difference between automatic and percentage? 

I have attached some screenshots for reference as well.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Vanessa_JWS, you'll likely want to play around with the Paper Size in your Render tool.

When it comes to Fixed vs Automatic, this is in relation to that. I.e. if you Fix a table at 5 inches by 5 inches, it'll only ever be that big, even if your paper size is enormous. Whereas, if you use percentage i.e. 50%, the table will always be 50% of the width of the paper size. Here's a quick example:

(Table is fixed at 50% width) - Render Paper Size is 10x10in:

DataNath_0-1671371579341.png

Increasing Render Paper Size to 20x10in, maintaining 50% width:

DataNath_1-1671371618144.png

Width is Fixed to 7 inches, Render Paper Size = 10x10in:

DataNath_2-1671371668989.png

Render Paper Size increased to 20x10 in, Fixed width remains at 7 inches:

DataNath_3-1671371700632.png

The truncation often comes from your Paper Size being too small so the field names get squished like in your [Bill to Country (2)] field. Like so:

Big enough Paper Size for the field names to be on one line:

DataNath_4-1671371806954.png

Slightly smaller Paper Size - text becomes wrapped to fit field names:

DataNath_5-1671371833816.png

Paper Size reduced even further - truncation begins (and you even get orange warnings):

DataNath_6-1671371887136.png

Playing around with the width settings in the table tool, as well as finding a suitable paper size in the final render ought to remedy your issue and result in a report that you're happy with!

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Vanessa_JWS 

Please be informed that, you are facing the issue 1 as below.

> In your Render tool, you might have the default Paper Size as Letter.

But you have many columns to project in the Sheet1 and hence few headers are looking like missing details.

Eg. "Bill to Country (2)" becomes "Bill to Coun (2)".

ShankerV_0-1671373631106.png

However, it is only the display issue but you can see the full header details if you click on the Specific cell.

In the top cell, we can see the full header details, but in the virtual display in the cell the header looks like truncated.

ShankerV_1-1671373806059.png

Solution for 1:

Request to increase the Size by using Custom Size.

ShankerV_2-1671373957999.png

This will help to resolve the issue. You can select 14, 17, or even 20 based on your requirement.

ShankerV_3-1671374020174.png

If you believe your problem has been resolved. Please mark helpful answers as a solution so that future users with the same problem can find them more easily!!!!

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Vanessa_JWS 

Solution for 2:

You have only 2 columns displayed in Sheet2, but still the same default paper size letter is selected.

Hence both columns are spread across the full paper size 8.5" x 11" making the columns are very huge spread.

To overcome this issue, you need to again select Custom size and make 3" x 3" so that you can get the desired output.

Before:

ShankerV_1-1671374459691.png

After:

ShankerV_0-1671374422277.png

If you believe your problem has been resolved. Please mark helpful answers as a solution so that future users with the same problem can find them more easily!!!!

Many thanks

Shanker V

Vanessa_JWS
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DataNath ! I will try to play around with the Paper size and see if this resolves my issue!

Vanessa_JWS
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ShankerV 

This doesn't seem like just a display issue as the full text is not appearing in the top cell as well.

Vanessa_JWS_0-1671374676351.png

Am I missing something? Thanks

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Vanessa_JWS 

Now you will encounter the issue, where you are trying to render all 3 sheets in using same Render tool.

Changing one paper size will affect all the 3 sheets.

To overcome this issue, you can render all 3 sheets into same excel sheet with Block Until Done tool.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Vanessa_JWS
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @ShankerV . But I don't think I can change the customization as I have 3 sheets for output. And I can only select one layout for the render tool

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Vanessa_JWS 

Thanks @ShankerV . But I don't think I can change the customization as I have 3 sheets for output. And I can only select one layout for the render tool

For the above issue, the solution have been addressed.

Please find below.

ShankerV_0-1671374866106.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

Vanessa_JWS
8 - Asteroid

@ShankerV 

Sorry for the stupid question - can I ask whether I should put the Block until done tool at the location indicated by the red arrow below?

Vanessa_JWS_0-1671375094191.png

Thanks

Vanessa

Labels