Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Merging data from multiple spelling errors

jamcam23
5 - Atom

Hello all, I'm very new to Alteryx and looking for some advice on how to solve an issue I’ve encountered in one of my workflows.

Simple background, I’m trying to analyse vehicle fuel card usage but the data set is compromised by the vehicle registration numbers being entered incorrectly (eg. DE17 ZHV or DE71 ZHB instead of the correct registration number of DE71 ZHV).

I’ve attached a small sample set for reference, can anyone help with either the correct formula or tool(s) to use so that I can merge the data from the mistyped entries into the valid registration numbers in Rows 4 & 8? As an additional point, only vehicles with both the same branch and driver name as the correct registration numbers should be merged.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @jamcam23,

Assuming you have a list of correct registrations I would recommend checking out Jaro Winkler Fuzzy String Matching - Alteryx Community tool this should let you add the correct number on then you could replace the old one with a formula tool. 

HTH,

Ira 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@jamcam23 one of way of doing this with the help of Find and Replace tool

1. Specify the Vehicle Registration Number and the Correct Registration number in a separate text input tool

2. Use the Find and Replace tool and update the configuration like below 

binuacs_0-1651150196357.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@jamcam23 attaching the sample workflow. You need to replace the correct registration number in the second input text tool (field name: actual registration number)

binuacs_0-1651183577274.png

Labels