Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge multiple excel files into one

beatrizmguerreiro
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I have two folders:

* Input

* Output. 

I am inserting the multiple input source files (.xlsx format) in the "input" folder. They have the same schema.

I need to merge all into one (with .xlsx format) and place it in the "output" folder.

I don't know how to do it. 

The workflow I have built doesn't provide all files, only the first one.

Thank you for your help, in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @beatrizmguerreiro 

can you share the snapshot of input tool config

beatrizmguerreiro
8 - Asteroid

I am taking the 1st approach, because my files' schemas are all the same and they are located in the same folder (called "Input") 

beatrizmguerreiro
8 - Asteroid

I want to change the name of the output file, that' s why I add the formula function.

beatrizmguerreiro_0-1604672336361.pngbeatrizmguerreiro_1-1604672356406.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @beatrizmguerreiro 

Can you set the path as just Input\*.xlsx and check once.

Since all your files are in input folder.

beatrizmguerreiro
8 - Asteroid

@JosephSerpis I see now that there are multiple messages saying the files have different schemas, which is weird. The headers are the same, but the content is (logically) diferent. 

Is there another solution besides creating a macro? I don't know how to do it

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @beatrizmguerreiro 

If the files have different columns its relatively very hard to merge them.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @beatrizmguerreiro any difference in the fields can cause the field schema to change. The only other solution is to go through each file individually and then use a field info tool to work out which columns in which files are being affected. A batch macro is the best option in this case. The guide I provided has an example batch macro for you download and use in your use case. Their is also this post with the marked solution that shows how to get the sheet names dynamically as well. The community academy has just released some Interactive Lessons regarding Macros that are also worth a look.

Labels