Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Malformed IF Statement

dougop
7 - Meteor

 Hello,

I am trying to write a multiple level IF statement and am getting a malformed statement.  I am not sure where the problem is as I believe that the syntax is correct.  Let me know what you all think!

7 REPLIES 7
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @dougop there's a couple of things I'd check here:

1) Is your [Date Difference Hire] definitely a numeric data type? If it's a string it'll error like you're seeing. You can either change this in a Select tool (before the Formula), or, f you're making this field in a Formula tool then you can just change it in the 'Data Type' dropdown underneath the expression box.

2) On line one, where you have 'THEN [Review]' - are you meaning to reference a field here or should this be "Review"?

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

Hi @dougop 

My best guess is that, given where the formula is saying there's an error, you've got the wrong data type for [date diff term]. Check that it's not a string and then that might work.

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

@dougop 

What kind of datatype is [date diff term] ? I believe it should be numerical and it isn't :-).

Greetings,

Seb

dougop
7 - Meteor

Hey everyone - yes both columns are numeric as they have been through a "datetimeparse"  tool.  See screenshot for the formula showing as fine until I put the ending "ELSE" and  "ENDIF" in

DataNath
17 - Castor

That's normal behaviour @dougop - the expression won't error until you end it. See here, I have a string value going in that works fine:

DataNath_0-1668006154510.png

Until I end the statement:

DataNath_2-1668006177157.png

DataNath_1-1668006166259.png

If you hit the blue Metadata tab in the bottom left, is it definitely not a string going into the Formula tool? As this erroring is consistent with this.

DataNath_3-1668006215129.png

Edit: Even though it *appears* numeric, coming out of a DateTime tool, the result is actually a string (radio button select is Date/Time format to string) so you'll need to make it numeric:

DataNath_0-1668006510964.pngDataNath_1-1668006518827.png

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

@dougop ,

Mmmm, can you make a screenshot of the metdata going into the formula tool?

Sebastiaandb_0-1668006254099.png

Would be nice to see what types they are :-).

Greetings,

Seb

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

My understanding is that running it through a datetimeparse will still leave it as a string. Check my screenshot in the formula that's doing the same as yours when stored as a string:

JamesCharnley_0-1668006240102.png

JamesCharnley_1-1668006249159.png

You can wrap the diff term in ToNumber() too if you'd prefer

Labels