Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Layout Report to Save to PDF

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

Hi. I have been trying to figure out how to export base data plus 45 rows of associated data on a PDF file in portrait mode. My challenge is that I need to export data, but customer ID/sales date to their own record/PDFs. So far, I can get the tables to behave, but the final output is giving me individual pages for each row of data. I really need to group them all on one sheet (or a second sheet with the header on top).  Attached is the sample data and a working workflow as well as how I would like the export to be on PDF.

I assume that somewhere with the render tool/report tool you can separate into different files?

Thanks for any advice.

13 REPLIES 13
usmanbashir
11 - Bolide

@JPSeagull - see attached workflow. Is this what you're looking for? Hope this helps!

**updated to include whitespace between tables

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

@usmanbashir - this is incredible how fast you did this! What is your secret? Just lots of experience? I spent hours just learning these tools and nothing I tried worked. Thank you!

usmanbashir
11 - Bolide

@JPSeagull - haha I appreciate that! There's really no secret except for 7+ years of experience with Alteryx. I trial and error a lot (fail a lot), and I read through other discussions for great/creative ideas from other users. I use it on a daily basis - it's my tool of choice for nearly all data solutions!

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

@usmanbashir - Again thank you. In testing it, I added another sales, and unfortunately, it combines the two by Item ID. I need to be able to separate each customer to their own sheets. Is there a setting I can't find in the export process?

Screenshot Render.PNG

usmanbashir
11 - Bolide

@JPSeagull - I think this will do it! Let me know!

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

@usmanbashir yes! This exported to two different sheets - thank you! So, where did you make that edit? I see you added in the Append tool, but how does that help? You are amazing, my man!

usmanbashir
11 - Bolide

@JPSeagull - Glad it worked!!

I added the append tool to include a blank text so it would include a spacer between each section of the tables per customer. Not sure if there's a better solution, but that worked for me!

I also updated the Report Table tools by selecting Group By 'Customer ID'. 

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

@usmanbashir - Thank you for helping me. It works great with a little tweaking of the color and alignment options. Now, I have two final questions - how can I get this to generate a separate stand alone PDF for each customer? You helped me separate the reporting within the PDF, but the need is to have a separate 1 to 2 page report for each customer. Although we can use Adobe Acrobat to extract pages out of a file, it would not be efficient due to volume.

And finally, I was able to figure out how to change the path of where I want the PDF to go in the final Render Tool, but it doesn't let me name it. I would need to not only extract separate PDFs for each customer, I would need to be able to dynamically name them using the Customer Name and ID.

usmanbashir
11 - Bolide

@JPSeagull - happy to help!!

- Update your Render tool similar to screenshot below. To update your filename, you can

1) change/update the field to Group On before the Render tool

2) change the 'Modify Filename By:' configuration as needed.

Location to be saved can be changed by updating the field to include full path and file name and selecting [Replacing Entire Path With Group' under Modify Filename By:

Hope this makes sense or let me know if you have other questions!

2024-04-08_16-41-42.png

Labels