Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I chenge the field type when using In-DB Connection

Herijale21
5 - Atom

I have data imported into Alteryx using the InDB Connection. The data set is extremely large to use the Data Stream Out on the whole set, so I am trying to cut it beforehand. However, all the Data Fields are Type V_String. Is there an easy way to change the type? I tried to use the Select in DB tool, but it only lets me rename the fields, not change the Type. Is there a better way to do this?

4 REPLIES 4
abe_ibanez
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 
What data type are you trying to change it to? 

I would recommend using the CAST command within your query. For example, if you want to go from string to numeric, you could use CAST(my_string AS INT). 

Herijale21
5 - Atom

I am trying to change it to an INT, would you do this using the formula INDB or a different tool?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

you should review the sql function commands for the specific syntax of your underlying db. You can then edit in your query itself (case "field" as ...) or in a formula tool using a some kind of cast statment. Note- your fields are "fieldname" vs [fieldname] wen In-DB.

abe_ibanez
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I would do it using the Connect In-DB tool. 

Capture3.PNG

If you are using the SQL Builder, you would need to add the CAST command to the Expression Section:

Capture.PNG

Otherwise, you can just write it directly on your initial query: 

Capture2.PNG

Labels