Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join tool should not multiply records

vrishabhpatel
6 - Meteoroid

I have two data sets which I need to join basis the amount appearing in each line item. For instance, I could have 10 line items having amount as 100 in dataset 1 and 8 line items having amount as 100 in dataset 2. Join tool generates 80 line items as a result of this. What I need is a workflow to join a unique row in dataset 1 with another unique row in dataset 2 and so on. As an output I should have 8 line items individually matched, with 2 additional line items from dataset 1.

I tried multiple functions such as summarize, unique, but to no avail.

I have attached sample datasets. They contain two unique amounts which must be matched with one another (Consider TDS amount / value). Currently I am getting 160 line items after joining. What I need is only 18 line items where 14 have matched and 4 remain unmatched. I will have to do the join basis amounts only since that is what I am trying to match.

13 REPLIES 13
RSreeSurya
9 - Comet

Hi @vrishabhpatel ,

Could you please share the output sample also, for the above attached files. 

Which columns you want to consider to join??

vrishabhpatel
6 - Meteoroid

Have attached the workflow. Also have attached an excel file with Current Output and Expected Output.

I need to use the TDS value / TDS amount column to do a join. Since I am identifying entries basis amounts. That is the only unique key I have.

RSreeSurya
9 - Comet

As we have multiple TDS Value/ TDS Amounts for first row where value is 100000 , from dataset which 100000 you have pick-up as we have multiple 100000. What logic you have used for selecting there ?

vrishabhpatel
6 - Meteoroid

First in first out basis the date.

RSreeSurya
9 - Comet

RSreeSurya_0-1685771973246.png

RSreeSurya_1-1685772000914.png

Out of these two screenshots for 2023-06-02 from screenshot 2 , which row you will be selecting as per your logic?

So for all the highlighted rows in screenshot one , first of screenshot 2 will be the output ??

Could you please confirm @vrishabhpatel 

RSreeSurya
9 - Comet

Based on which date column , as we have multiple date columns 

vrishabhpatel
6 - Meteoroid

2023-06-02 gets matched with 2023-07-02

2023-06-03 gets matched with 2023-06-02

2023-06-04 gets matched with 2023-07-03

Essentially what I need is, once two records are matched they need not be considered again for matching other amounts.

vrishabhpatel
6 - Meteoroid

Invoice date in Dataset 1 and transaction date in Dataset 2.

RSreeSurya
9 - Comet

Attaching the sample workflow. Hope this fulfils the requirement. 

Please have a look @vrishabhpatel 

Labels