Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issues with Filtering to Keep the Correct Duplicate

jlrouquette
7 - Meteor

Howdy All,

I'm new to Alteryx so this may a really easy one...

In my filtered dataset, I have item ID, attempt number, length and a variety of other item specific metrics.  In the majority of my observations, the item ID is unique.  There are, however, several observations where a given item ID is repeated because of failed attempts to create the item.  In those cases, the attempt number increases with each failure and stops whenever it succeeds.  The length variable also changes as a failed attempt means a shorter length.  On those select few duplicates, the only two columns that would have different information would be attempt number and length, everything else would be duplicated.       

I need a tool or idea on how to filter the dataset in such a way where I move every unique observation forward and the biggest attempt number (the successful run) forward for every duplicate.

I've attached a rough example that I created in Excel.   

-Luke

3 REPLIES 3
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jlrouquette

Welcome to the Alteryx community!

I think you will want to use the sort tool, sorting on Attempt Number in descending order, then use the unique tool on Item Number.

The unique selects the first in the list, so you will get you highest attempt number coming out the Unique side.

jlrouquette
7 - Meteor

Thanks, Joe.  I just read a similar post and was trying that now.  Honestly, I thought there had to be a more complicated or "official" solution than that.

It definitely works though.

I appreciate your help!

-Luke

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Luke,

Nope, we like to keep things simple, and that can be the "official" way ;-)

Labels